Friday, July 9, 2010

Think of the children

Malpensa airport of Milan is OK for spending the night. I read somewhere that it is possibly the worst international European airport, but so far I don’t see why. A poet once said that when you travel, the obstacles are put there by you, your mind creates them to scare you away from an adventure, or to drag you deep inside one.

My adventure is unworthy of your attention, because I’m a european tourist in a major european city, traveling without a passport (intra-Schengen). People like me usually have adventures like “I can’t find my favorite brand of tea” or “I can’t find a place to park my rent car for free”. Actually, both examples are from my intra-Schengen tourist adventures, except that it was coffee, not tea.

This time, my problem is that I can’t charge my batteries. And when I say “my batteries”, I mean my children's batteries.And when I say “my children” I mean my MacBook and my iPhone which are, of course, like children to me. My younger can be charged if connected to the older, but how will I feed my old one? Yes, I have the power cord with me, but it doesn’t fit in the Italian plugs, which is a good thing, since Italian voltage is higher than 220V.

The good thing is I have an extra battery! If I use it correctly, I can enjoy the services of both my kids. I hope that my Lisbon hosts will provide a power adapter suited to my children’s needs. Mental note for the next trip: get information about power supply of the target country, or don’t carry any rechargeable electronics with you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"enjoy the services of both of my kids"?!?!?!

child labour!!! αίσχος!!! won't someone think of the children?

Nick Andrik said...

The voltage is 220, but the plugs are different.
Not only that, but they have two types of these 3 spines plugs which are not compatible to each other.
Go figure! :P

Αρμενίων said...

@ Nick Andrik: Thanks for the information Nick. It is really strange that they have two types of plugs incompatible to each other.

The Voltage is 230, though, according to this: http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm
Actually, my 220V devices had no problem being plug to 230V suppliers (they were getting a little high, but in a nice way).

A potentially useful information for all Malpensa travelers: there is a power supply point after the passport control, search for it. It is like a stand with many different plugs (even a couple of 5V USB plugs). My kids loved it!

Post a Comment